THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON April 6, 2017 @ 6:13 am
Avalanche Advisory published on April 5, 2017 @ 6:13 am
Issued by Aaron Beverly - Mount Shasta Avalanche Center
bottom line

Overall avalanche danger today is LOW at all elevations. NORMAL CAUTION is advised. Expect high winds in the alpine region. Falling rime ice continues to be the primary concern for skiers and climbers venturing above treeline on Mount Shasta. A winter storm starting late tomorrow will bring up to 3 inches of water and possibly 2 feet or more of snow above 4400'.

How to read the advisory


  • Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.

1. Low

?

Above Treeline

1. Low

?

Near Treeline

1. Low

?

Below Treeline

Overall avalanche danger today is LOW at all elevations. NORMAL CAUTION is advised. Expect high winds in the alpine region. Falling rime ice continues to be the primary concern for skiers and climbers venturing above treeline on Mount Shasta. A winter storm starting late tomorrow will bring up to 3 inches of water and possibly 2 feet or more of snow above 4400'.

  • Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
Avalanche Problem 1: Normal Caution
  • Character ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Avalanche danger is LOW at all elevations. Natural and human triggered avalanches are unlikely.

Though winds and cloud cover will probably keep the snow pack cool above 9000', falling rime ice is still a concern. If you are climbing high into the alpine region today, time your ascent and descent to avoid peak warming periods. Choose your route to minimize exposure and wear a helmet.

Proficient ice axe and crampon skills are essential as surface snow is smooth and firm above 9000'. A stumble below Red Banks could lead to a fast long ride back down to Helen Lake if you can't self-arrest.

recent observations

There is not much new to report from the backcountry. Conditions yesterday along Scott Camp Creek above Methodist Camp were soft with some corn snow to be found. Snow was sticky by 1:00 p.m. If you find yourself at lower elevations along a creek, expect to do some route finding to remain on snow. Snow depth near Scott Lake (elevation 5960') averaged about 100 inches, so there is still plenty of snow in the Castle Lake area.

There was no overnight freeze up to at least 8000' and with today's continued warm temperatures, snow conditions will likely be similar to the last couple of days. If skiing is your mission today, get out by late morning for the best snow.

CURRENT CONDITIONS Weather observations from Bunny Flat
0600 temperature: 38 deg. F.
Max. temperature in the last 24 hours: 47 deg. F.
Average wind direction during the last 24 hours: West
Average wind speed during the last 24 hours: 10 mph
Maximum wind gust in the last 24 hours: 28 mph
New snowfall in the last 24 hours: 0 inches
Total snow depth: 102 inches
weather

Today will bring the last day of spring-like weather. Expect mostly cloudy weather and temperatures up into the low 50's near and below treeline.

Get some rest tomorrow as temperatures drop and clouds increase. Then grab those powder skis back out of the closet and get ready for winter again.  A low pressure system developing off the north coast will swing a river of moisture into the area beginning late tomorrow night. Up to 3 inches of water will flow into the area by Sunday. Snow levels will drop to 4400' Thursday night as the storm system moves in. That much water coupled with low snow levels could produce over 2' of snow.

In Mt Shasta City at 0500, we have a current temperature of 46 F

On Mt Shasta (South Side) in the last 24 hours...

Sand Flat - 6,750 ft. The current temperature is 38 degrees F. Temperatures have ranged from 32 F to 47 F. Snow on the ground totals 102 inches with no new snow and 2 inches of settlement.

Old Ski Bowl - 7,600ft. The current temperature is 35 degrees F. Temperatures have ranged from 34 F to 48 F. Snow on the ground totals 182 inches with no new snow and 1.5 inches of settlement. 

Grey Butte - 8,000 feet. The current temperature is 34 degrees F. Temperatures have ranged from 34 F to 41 F. Winds have averaged 10 mph with gusts to 28 mph, blowing mostly from the west.

Mt Eddy Range (West side of Interstate-5)... 

Castle Lake - 5,800 feet. The current temperature is 40 degrees F. Temperatures have ranged from 40 F to 56 F. Snow on the ground totals 93 inches.

Mt Eddy - 6,500 feet, the current temperature 38 degrees F. Temperatures have ranged from 38 F to 45 F. Snow on the ground measures 85 inches with no new snow and 1 inch of settlement. Winds have been variable averaging 2 mph with gusts up to 11 mph.

THIS SEASON PRECIPITATION for MT SHASTA CITY: Since October 1st (the wet season), we have received 49.46 inches of water, normal is 35.92 inches, putting us at 138% of normal. For the month of April, we have received 0 inches of water, normal is .46 inches, which is 0% of normal. And finally for the year of 2017, we received 28.30 inches of water, normal is 20.71 inches, putting us at 137% of normal.

Always check the weather before you attempt to climb Mt Shasta. Further, monitor the weather as you climb. Becoming caught on the mountain in any type of weather can compromise life and limb. Be prepared.

 

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Medford NWS
For 7000 ft. to 9000 ft.
  Wednesday Wednesday Night Thursday
Weather: Partly sunny. A 30 percent chance of snow after 11 pm. Mostly cloudy. Snow likely. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Temperatures: 54 deg. F. 34 deg. F. 43 deg. F.
Wind direction: South then Southwest South southwest South southwest
Wind speed: 15-25 15-20 15-20
Expected snowfall: 0 in. <1 in. 1-2 in.
For 9000 ft. to 11000 ft.
  Wednesday Wednesday Night Thursday
Weather: Partly sunny. A 40 percent chance of snow after 11pm. Mostly cloudy. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. Snow likely. Cloudy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Temperatures: 30 deg. F. 24 deg. F. 25 deg. F.
Wind direction: South southwest South southwest South southwest
Wind speed: 31-46 mph 67-78 mph 56-62 mph
Expected snowfall: 0 in. <1 in. 1-2 in.
Disclaimer
This advisory does not apply to Ski Areas or Highways and is for the Mt. Shasta, Castle Lake and Mt. Eddy backcountry. Use this information for guidance only. You may find different conditions in the backcountry and should travel accordingly. This advisory expires on midnight of the date it was posted unless otherwise noted.