You are here
A Windy Day Above Treeline
Location Name:Shastarama, Red Butte
Date and time of observation:Mon, 03/26/2018 - 7:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 22' 36.5124" N, 122° 11' 20.2344" W
Observations from a tour down into South Gate Meadows from near the backside of Shastarama and up onto Red Butte:
- No signs of wind slabs near and above treeline.
- Strong N-NE winds transporting snow towards SW-S-SE aspects above treeline. Blowing snow was sublimating. No significant accumulation observed. (See Videos).
- Sun crusts, melt-freeze crusts, and moist surface snow on S and E aspects and other sun exposed areas below and near treeline.
- Snow on N-NE facing aspects remained dry.
- Wind effected gullies above treeline held chalky supportable dry snow.
- Ski penetration ranged from 5-12 cm (2-5 in) throughout tour.
- Rollerballs on S facing aspects.
- Snow pack right side up at all elevations and aspects on tour. No avalanches observed. No signs of instability. Hand tests were stubborn to trigger. Skiing and ski cuts yielded small sloughs but otherwise no results.
Cloud Cover:25% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static